3/18/14

BLOG TAKEOVER: BEER AND BAKING

-->
 Hi There! It’s Jessica from Beer and Baking doing a blog takeover! I am new to the team here and I am really excited to join the Harveys family. It’s such an amazing company to be a part of and I am happy to contribute to the blog. Since I blog about baking regularly I love to subject my co-workers to my latest and greatest recipe creations…lucky them, right? 
Recently we celebrated Stefan’s Birthday at the office and I thought - what better time to bring in something delicious and filled with beer? Perfect timing in fact! I needed to break-in my new mini bundt cake pan and so I seized the opportunity to break in my pan and my co-workers with one swift bundt cake to the face.


I elected to make a spiced bundt cake with Cisomtane’s Dos Cone Es because 1. I had it in the fridge and 2. It’s a delicious beer that’s filled with caramels and spiced rye flavors that translate fantastically into baked goods and 3. I love me some Cismontane. If you live in Orange County and haven’t made the trip to RSM to visit the brewery’s taproom I highly recommend it.

* You can use any beer you want but I do recommend using a stout, porter, red ale or strong ale since it has somewhat similar complimentary flavors for the spices in this recipe.
Ingredients:
3 ¾ cups All-purpose flour
½ teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (fresh if possible)
1 ¼ cups vegetable oil
1 ¼ cups unsulfured molasses
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
2 large whole eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1 ¼ cups or 10 oz of beer, poured and settled
Frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup of beer
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 
-->
Directions:
1.     Preheat oven to 350◦F. Spray your mini bundt cake pan with non-stick spray and set aside. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a bowl and set aside.
2.     With an electric mixer, using the whisk attachment mix on medium speed the oil, molasses, brown sugar, eggs (including yolk), and beer until combined. Reduce speed to low and mix in the flour mixture gradually until just combined.
3.     Divide the batter evenly among the bunt cake wells and if necessary use an off-set spatula to even the distribution. Don’t go over the wells as the cakes will expand while baking, fill only ¾ of the way.
4.     Bake in the upper-center of the oven for 10 minutes, rotate then bake for another 6-8 minutes until the edges have browned nicely and a toothpick comes out clean. A browned edge means it is going to have a lovely crisp edge which is a nice texture contrast from the soft internal texture.
5.     Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the molds on a wire rack, then remove from the molds and allow to cool completely. Whisk together the powdered sugar, beer and vanilla for the frosting to achieve desired consistency. If the frosting is too thick, add some beer or water and if it’s too thin add some more powdered sugar…it’s really up to preference.  Spoon frosting over the cakes as desired.
These bundt cakes are best eaten the day they are made, but they keep for a few extra days in an airtight container. They are moist, spice-filled, little cakes of joy and I think the added complexity of the beer helps bring bold and original flavors to new and interesting places. I know that my co-workers really enjoyed these bundt cakes so I will definitely be making these again! Thanks for allowing me to take over your space for the day and I hope you all try making these fun little cakes.