11/21/12

A Vegan Treat


This Holiday season we thought it would be fun to give you a Vegan option for your dessert table. So, I put on my baking hat and baked a delicious Vegan Chocolate Cream pie!

Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie
Ingredients:

1lb Silken (or soft) Tofu (drained and rinsed)
2 cups fair-trade Organic Cacao chips unsweetened
1/4 cup Organic Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 graham cracker piecrust (make sure it is vegan, most stores like Wholefoods will have vegan options)


I wanted baking this pie to be as easy as possible, so I purchased a pre-made vegan graham cracker crust and Soyatoo soy Whip (vegan whipped cream). I found a homemade vegan whipped cream recipe that everyone seems to love, but decided to go with the canned vegan whipped cream, I was so excited when I found it in the store!

The pie ended up being one of the easiest I've ever made. Preparation took me only 20 minutes or maybe even less. That's my kind of baking!

Preparation:

In a bowl blend tofu until smooth. Melt chocolate in Microwave safe bowl in intervals of 30 seconds, mixing in between, and making sure not to burn it. While melting the chocolate add vanilla and sugar to tofu. Add melted chocolate to the tofu, vanilla, and sugar (you need to work quickly to prevent the chocolate from hardening), mix until completely incorporated.

Pour the chocolate mixture into the crust and spread evenly.

Cover & refrigerate (about 45 mins)

Slice & serve!!!


The pie turned out so good that no one would ever guess the main ingredient was tofu. It was rich and pretty filling, so a small slice went a long way. It was easy to make and quite delicious if I might say so myself!

What delicious desserts are you making for the Holidays?

xoxo,
Melanie