5/7/12

Airing My Dirty Laundry


I know what you’re thinking, and I heart laundry is probably not one of them.  As Mother’s day is approaching quickly, I wanted to share with you something I do as a mother and for mother earth as well that makes a lot more cents with this chore.
 
I make my own laundry soap! I clean green with just about everything I can around our house and laundry is just one of them.  It’s eco-friendly, it’s loads cheaper (haha), I change up the scent depending on what essential oils I have on hand, and it’s kind of fun being a scientist. And the icing on the cake is my girls love helping all the while learning about measuring and fractions.
It all started with my dear friend, Angie, loaning me her copy of the book Make Your Place by Raleigh Briggs. Thanks Angie!

For me it works best to multiply this recipe by 15. I gather all my ingredients: Costco is good for the baking soda, Borax can be found at the regular grocery store, I can only find washing soda at Ace Hardware, Dr. Bronner’s bar soap is on sale sometimes at Sprouts or you can find it at Trader Joes, and I get all my essential oils from Mother’s. I also cheat by grating my soap in my food processor. I then store it in a large container and use this short vase I already had up in my cupboard so I’m not dragging a heaving container in/out. Use what you have, that’s the whole idea.
I have an HE Washer and this works SUPER! If you want to be extra green, air dry whenever possible. On a sunny day it's actually faster than my gas dryer and it doesn't make the house hot.

This is just one of the ways I clean green. One of my other daily favs is the “Almost All Purpose Spray Cleaner”. Cleaning with lavender and eucalyptus oils will turn your home into a spa. Love it! Let me know if you want me to post more!

Love Melanie