4/20/11

Old School

Last night Cheryl and I attended the Launch of the new Fashion Building at Orange Coast College.
OCC is my old school, where I studied fashion so I was curious to see the new digs which looked great on the invitation.
  It looked even more amazing in person. A far cry from the single story classrooms that I studied in.

The students had some works on display. 
  There were some very creative ideas. I liked the yellow weave design of course.
 I loved the view from the sewing lab. The floor to ceiling windows really opened up the space.
 They have a great selection of various sewing machines.
And state of the art Pattern making software. 
Cheryl and Professor Chris Amaral
Cheryl started with HARVEYS at the Santa Ana retail store while she was getting her Fashion degree at OCC. When she graduated she was promoted to the operations department and then to Design. Chris Amaral was her Mentor and has even asked Cheryl to come back to OCC to speak and inspire new students.
It's so great that this caliber of fashion education is offered at a community college. When I was fresh out of High School, I couldn't afford to go to a prestigious design school. At OCC I was able to work to pay for my education while I was going to school and I was able to take a variety of classes that really helped me learn a lot of the skills that I still use today.