1/15/10

A Quick 10 with Nancy Chiu

We wanted to find out more about INTRO winner, Nancy Chiu so we came up with these 10 questions and now we love her even more.




DH: What is the last book you read?




NC: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer






DH: If not art, what would you being doing?

NC: A culinary artist, heh, heh, get it? Just kidding. Probably a baker.






A red velvet cake I made for a friend's birthday. Nancy is alway bringing by treats for us too. She came by on Wednesday with red velvet cupcakes. Mmmmm. Thanks again Nancy.


DH: If you could have any super power what would it be?




NC: I want to be able to grow plants where and whenever I want - I would plant fruit trees on the sidewalks so that nobody would starve again.





My face brightens when I see food. And look how skillfully I was working those chopsticks

DH: If your life was a movie, who would you want to play you?

NC: Any actor that is Asian and female. We all look the same anyway. Is this too offensive?






DH: Did growing up in Taiwan influence your artistic talent?


NC: There are countless varieties of Japanese comic books in Taiwan for as long as I can remember. I started reading them when I was a tiny kid and I was always impressed by their attention to the details - interesting stylization, meticulous and articulate lines, etc. They definitely got me interested in drawing.





Taken during my trip to Taiwan, summer 2009. I used to go to this small park all the time since I was a toddler, up until I moved to California.
DH: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

NC: Working as a full-time designer, illustrating for books, shirts, stationery sets and any products.






Sketching in front of a computer at my part-time job

DH: Who is someone you look up to and why?

NC: Just anyone who does their best at anything that they do. I have great respect for those who are persistent, motivated and industrious regardless of the outcome.








My boyfriend and I developed this hobby of eating bananas in the car. And we collect photos of those moments

DH: Last but not least… what is your favorite seatbelt bag?

NC: Lola ruffle anything! They remind me of cute little cuttlefish. I just want to tickle their ruffles!



Thank you Nancy! It's been awesome working with you. Keep up the great work. Click on Nancy's tote to see a close up. She actually presented Melanie Harvey with the original artwork that inspired the tote. Can't wait to hang it up in our Studio.